Save Tyva from alcoholism
Alcoholism is on the first place among the top causes leading to the high mortality rate among the population of the Russian Federation. This problem exists on the critical scale among the small peoples of the North, because of their farness and isolation from the federal administrative center, poor living conditions, as well as physiological reasons. Due to the relatively recent (2-3 generations) knowing of alcohol, the resistance to alcoholization among the indigenous people of the North is currently not developed. Their small population and the high percentage of alcoholics urge to speak about the dangers of an early degeneration of these peoples.
The Republic of Tyva is a small region of the Russian Federation with a population of 300 thousand people. 3000 people are on the official medical record with a diagnosis of "alcoholism". Unofficial evidences indicate that approximately every second family has a family member who abuses alcohol. Female alcoholism occurs widely.
To improve the situation it is necessary to take immediate actions to counter rapid alcoholization, which threatens the well-being of the Tyvan people. Taking this, the World League "Mind Free of Drugs" together with the leadership of the Republic of Tyva is implementing a project on the eradication of alcoholism.
A cooperation agreement signed in early December 2012, between the Government of Tyva and the World League "Mind free of Drugs", includes a complete modernization of addiction services in the country. The very first step is to train specialists in the Nazaraliev Medical Center (MCN), located in Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan). In March 2013 six Tyvan doctors: two addiction psychiatrists, an anesthetist, a therapist and two instructors of psychological trainings will come here to learn the course of Professor Nazaraliev’s authorial program (гиперссылка на профиль) Mindcrafting. All of them will take a semi-annual training program.
As part of the Program the World League offers:
1. Introduce the practice of self-supporting labor communes, the number of which should grow to 10 within two years. In groups of 15-20 people, the addicts will pass the occupational therapy program and the psychological rehabilitation Mindcrafting program.
2. Realization of a comprehensive study of alcohol epidemic in the region. This will give a broad view of the problem and the effective ways of dealing with it. Based on these data, it will be possible to enhance the effect of follow-up actions.
3. Pay special attention to religion. Buddhism, which is very common in Tyva, can be the best spiritual support for patients with alcoholism. At the request of the President of the World League Professor Jenishbek Nazaraliev, the Buddhist spiritual leader the Dalai Lama XIV conveyed his benediction and valediction to tyvinians. Professor personally handed the appeal of His Holiness to the Head of the Government of the Republic of Tyva Sholban Kara-ooly.
The appeal discusses false understanding of happiness, the true meaning of life and illusions that generate alcohol and drugs. It is planned that the Dalai Lama's appeal will be placed in public places, educational institutions, leisure and culture centers, as well as in administrative buildings of Tyva. This will help to strengthen the preventive work against alcoholism, and strengthen the spiritual values of the Tyvan people.
4. The program includes the direct participation of Professor Jnishbek Nazaraliev in psychotherapeutic conversations with people: for one month in the quarter Professor Nazaraliev will meet with residents at the local level, be on the air, work with the media, and conduct preventive anti-alcohol campaign. During the year, the president of the World League will meet with all the alcohol addicts who are registered in the addiction services of Tyva.
5. Another innovation can be an idea to establish the institute of attendants. To lay control over a certain number of people for every volunteer attendant. Its task will be to stop the alcoholization, which will be agreed with the Special Committee on the Elimination of alcoholism.
6. On the recommendations of the World League, the Tyva government does not exclude a measure of doubling the price on alcoholic drinks.
The proposed anti-alcohol program is aimed at saving the small peoples of Russia from extinction, to create conditions for their survival and recovery. To implement the project the Republic of Tyva has been selected as a pilot region. In the future, the program can be used in other regions of the Russian Federation.